What's new at CPR?
Breathing New Life into Old Pinballs!
Nov 7, 2013
- Again lots going on. We now have both CNC machines up and running. The new MultiCAM is a beast but its not been without its problems. I thought pinball machines were the only things hacked but this machine had some missing connectors on burnt wires that were just twisted together and sealed with electrical tape!! It was causing all sorts of lost steps, ruined wood and just plain weirdness. Cut it all out, new connectors and things appear to be better. We are using the Shopbot now for doing small off the side things like the backs playfields etc.
- HighSpeed has been at Kev's since May but it looks like it will finally get printed this week into next. Printing Tales from the Crypt plastics right now and they should be available by next week.
- I am still awaiting samples of new playfield wood from a new supplier and once that arrives we'll be full steam ahead with Fire!, Start Trek and ToTAN. These PFs are pretty much ready to cut, we just need a wood that is worth of the titles.
- Wow, lots of changes this summer at CPR. Stu had been doing such a fine job updating you all I just neglected this page but with Stu now backing off I guess I'll have to get off my butt and keep this page updated a little better. - Kevin has finally run out of room at his house and we have to relocate to a commercial location. This is scary as its a major commitment and investment for us. -My CNC shop has also been on the upgrade list for some time. My two small shops had provided almost all the cutting since CPR began, but they were just too small. Our newest CNC, a MultiCAM 1000 is a monster and it cannot be broken down and taken through a normal door so it sat unused in a car trailer for almost 2 yrs. We finally decided now was the time get a building that has a door that can handle this machine. So, the wood shop is partially shut down while I rebuild it into something we can really use, something that means we don't have to shovel a snow path down a large hill, across the grass and hand carry PFs to Kevin's for printing. We have need this type of area for years but just couldn't afford the time or money. With Kevin relocating the screening it was a great opportunity to do the upgrade when he was down and my construction would not slow him down. - So other than some major changes.... here's what's new... - Stu and Kevin have spent a small fortune tuning and retuning the CMYK artwork for backglasses over and over again. It's actually much more complicated than I ever thought possible to get what you want out of a CMYK screen. There are a huge amount of variables. We have had spot colors nailed for years but this is something new. From the sounds of it though the boys have it well in hand due to Stu's.... errrr.. dedication, though..... some might call it lunacy. I'm not truly sure what to call it but I am glad we have Stu's energy and drive. :-) - I think that we have two small boutique PF runs ready to print and the Highspeed PF as well. Strikes and Spares are all cut and glued as are the Fish Tales Mini boat PFs. Keep an eye open for these. It's just a matter of getting every set back up and tweaked perfectly like we had it before we mucked it all up by tearing it apart and moving it.
- We've been flatout lately. Here's what on the table. Right now we have Taxi being readied to print. I chased UPS for many hours over the past week and the remaining inserts finally arrived for High Speed so they'll be at Kevin's ready to go within a week or so. I love &^(*&%*&^ UPS :-)
- We have a small custom run that will also go to Kev's this week and a very small rerun to burn up some extra inserts I had hanging around. We finally are catching up with plastics so some of those odd sets like Bad Cats and D&D should be out shortly.
- Stu has many backglasses ready for us to add into the production queue... these include some really cool ones.... take a look!
These are Translite to Backglass Conversions With Mirroring